Crystal Gem Universe Forum
Hello and welcome to Crystal Gem Universe, a Steven Universe fan forum! We're glad you found us! We look forward to meeting you! Your newest BFF(s) awaits! Sign up today! Cool Strawberry
Hello and welcome to Crystal Gem Universe, a Steven Universe fan forum! We're glad you found us! We look forward to meeting you! Your newest BFF(s) awaits! Sign up today! Cool Strawberry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Steven Universe forum

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Quick Ref
CGU Rules
CGU Staff Roster
CGU Ranking
Getting Started at CGU
Watched Threads/Topics
CGU Affiliation Request
Latest topics
» New Jem
[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_icon_minitimeby akselbuch Tue May 30, 2017 3:42 am

» New Member; ResolutionBlaze
[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_icon_minitimeby ArcNitemare Sat May 27, 2017 1:22 am

» [Theory] Why Does Yellow Diamond Want to Destroy the Earth?
[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_icon_minitimeby ResolutionBlaze Sun May 07, 2017 9:46 pm

» Do other places know of the Crystal Gems?
[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_icon_minitimeby ResolutionBlaze Sun May 07, 2017 9:11 pm

» Obsidian, Idocrase, and Black Diamond
[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_icon_minitimeby ResolutionBlaze Sun May 07, 2017 8:42 pm

» [POLL] Was Rose Quartz's Rebellion A Failure?
[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_icon_minitimeby ResolutionBlaze Sun May 07, 2017 8:24 pm

» [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes?
[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_icon_minitimeby ResolutionBlaze Sun May 07, 2017 7:53 pm

» [Debate]Can Jasper be reedemed?
[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_icon_minitimeby ResolutionBlaze Sun May 07, 2017 7:34 pm

» Fiction: Escape or Moral?
[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_icon_minitimeby ResolutionBlaze Sun May 07, 2017 11:20 am

Cbox
CGU Chatbox Pop Out (Opens in New Tab)
Poll
Who's Your Favorite Fusion?
Garnet
[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_lcap22%[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_rcap
 22% [ 5 ]
Opal
[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_lcap13%[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_rcap
 13% [ 3 ]
Sardonyx
[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_lcap17%[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_rcap
 17% [ 4 ]
Sugilite
[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_lcap0%[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Alexandrite
[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_lcap9%[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 2 ]
Stevonnie
[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_lcap13%[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_rcap
 13% [ 3 ]
Smoky Quartz
 13% [ 3 ]
Malachite
[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_lcap4%[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
Don't make me choose!
[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_lcap9%[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 2 ]
Rainbow Quartz
[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_lcap0%[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 23
Social Media
CGU Facebook CGU TwitterCGU Tumblr

[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes?
Story Arcs
[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_lcap33%[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_rcap
 33% [ 7 ]
Self-Contained Episodes
[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_lcap10%[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_rcap
 10% [ 2 ]
Both
[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_lcap57%[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_vote_rcap
 57% [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 21

AuthorMessage
Garnet
Founder
Members Diamond

Garnet
FounderMembers Diamond

Favorite Gem : Garnet, Pearl and Peridot

[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? Empty
PostSubject: [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes?   [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2016 6:30 pm

This question was pitched by @PearlQuartz17 and I thought it was a good enough question to take a poll on! So pick your fave and then explain why!

Last edited by Garnet on Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://crystalgemuniverse.forummotion.com
Bgal

Bgal

Favorite Gem : garnet in general, peridot/amethyst/bismuth/centipeedle if single gems only

PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes?   [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2016 6:41 pm

I personally like both. Sure, stories are fun, but sometimes it's best to have some breathing room. I just want to see how things are handled.
Back to top Go down
Boulder Opal

Boulder Opal

Favorite Gem : Steven

PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes?   [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2016 6:43 pm

Apparently Rebecca Sugar said at the SDCC that she's fine with the 11 minute episodes, but I think if they were longer they could show more. So I like the story arcs that make the stories thicker. Grin Strawberry
Back to top Go down
http://polkapan.tumblr.com/
Swords&Roses

Swords&Roses

Favorite Gem : Connie (even though she isn't a gem aaa)

PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes?   [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2016 9:37 pm

I can't help but love both. Without story arcs, the series would be very disjointed and wouldn't have as much appeal over 'wow, what happens next, is she going to be ok, ect. ect.'.
However, self-contained episodes, especially in Steven Universe, make up (in my opinion) some of the best eps in the series. For example, 'When it Rains', 'Winter Forcast', 'Alone Together', and even 'Steven the Sword Fighter' are all (mostly) self-contained, yet are still as emotional and interesting as the stories that take more than one episode to tell.
Really, the only things needed to make the episodes good are the content and pacing; if it takes longer to tell a story at the right pace, great!, but I wouldn't want them to consciously draw out a story that was simply made to play out quicker.
Back to top Go down
Sardonyx
Social Media Diamond
Sardonyx
Social Media Diamond

Favorite Gem : Garnet, Sardonyx

PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes?   [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2016 11:15 pm

I honestly prefer a story arc as I feel it connects the episodes more but a good self contained episode can always connect to each other as well and they also help more the story along.
Back to top Go down
http://misswildfire.tumblr.com/
Lapis Lazuli
Roleplay Diamond
Lapis Lazuli
Roleplay Diamond

Favorite Gem : All of them <3

PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes?   [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2016 11:33 pm

I'm a story arc kind of person. I like self contained episodes sometimes but they have to have some kind of connection back to the story arc. It's why I liked Gravity Falls so much because literally every episode had some sort of little nib of info that pertained to the main plot and you as the viewer had to put all the pieces together to get a little more of the story and just beodnwkdnqlcnrnoqamdnocmqlsmgnoxnrnwkqke

I like big plots (•3•)

It's why I'm struggling with SU a little cuz we have all these fillers that don't have a lot to do with the big story and it's like neeeeehhhhhjhhhh X.x
Back to top Go down
shadywinters

shadywinters

Favorite Gem : Garnet is BEST MOM

PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes?   [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 2:44 pm

I personally like both. Story arcs always come first for me because they pertain to the plot, but it's always good to have fun little filler episodes that helped to ease the viewer from all of the drama in the arcs. And yes, some of the fillers do tie into the plot.
Back to top Go down
http://shadywinters.tumblr.com
Pixie

Pixie

Favorite Gem : smoldot

PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes?   [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2016 12:01 pm

I'm happiest when the show focuses on the characters I love, regardless of how relevant it is to the overarching story.  I say both.
Back to top Go down
ResolutionBlaze

ResolutionBlaze

Favorite Gem : Jasper

PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes?   [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_icon_minitimeSun May 07, 2017 7:53 pm

I have two answers for this one:

Both in terms of the show itself. I like the single-episodes of the first and second season much better though, because it was centered around learning more, bit by bit, about the Crystal Gems and such. Now, they're mostly about humans, and, let's all be honest here; the humans in this show other than Connie and a few select others, aren't that interesting. Many of them simply bring comic relief even though Amethyst on her own can bring on a lot.

In the past, single episodes worked well for the show. Hell, even the smallest bits of continuity stayed and still stay in the show, such as the fence when Amethyst fell off the cliff like a clutz, or Connie's eyesight. Each little detail being kept is a thing we rarely saw in most shows, as they are used to going back to the Status Quo. Steven Universe S1 was showing a slowly evolving story with each episode that went by; either with new continuity or new information we haven't previously known.

However, since Jailbreak, the story went from a 5 to a 10 in mere moments. Now, the show is about mini episodes between arcs to keep things moving along, episodes that really don't bring much to the story except for maybe a couple things. At least, side stories and such became far less intriguing for me. That wasn't to say Season One was perfect; it certainly wasn't, but it was a different kind of story being told, it was the transition into what we have now; Story Arcs surrounded by small development of characters.

People became obsessed with arcs, and I'm fine with that, it's just a different change of pace. We are used to having arcs be an information dump and filler episodes just being filler, rather than each episode slowly evolving the story to a climax.

So as of now, Story Arcs. I prefer them.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes?   [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1