Crystal Gem Universe Forum
Hello and welcome to Crystal Gem Universe, a Steven Universe fan forum! We're glad you found us! We look forward to meeting you! Your newest BFF(s) awaits! Sign up today! Cool Strawberry
Hello and welcome to Crystal Gem Universe, a Steven Universe fan forum! We're glad you found us! We look forward to meeting you! Your newest BFF(s) awaits! Sign up today! Cool Strawberry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Steven Universe forum

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Quick Ref
CGU Rules
CGU Staff Roster
CGU Ranking
Getting Started at CGU
Watched Threads/Topics
CGU Affiliation Request
Latest topics
» New Jem
The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_icon_minitimeby akselbuch Tue May 30, 2017 3:42 am

» New Member; ResolutionBlaze
The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_icon_minitimeby ArcNitemare Sat May 27, 2017 1:22 am

» [Theory] Why Does Yellow Diamond Want to Destroy the Earth?
The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_icon_minitimeby ResolutionBlaze Sun May 07, 2017 9:46 pm

» Do other places know of the Crystal Gems?
The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_icon_minitimeby ResolutionBlaze Sun May 07, 2017 9:11 pm

» Obsidian, Idocrase, and Black Diamond
The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_icon_minitimeby ResolutionBlaze Sun May 07, 2017 8:42 pm

» [POLL] Was Rose Quartz's Rebellion A Failure?
The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_icon_minitimeby ResolutionBlaze Sun May 07, 2017 8:24 pm

» [Poll] Do you prefer story arcs or self-contained episodes?
The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_icon_minitimeby ResolutionBlaze Sun May 07, 2017 7:53 pm

» [Debate]Can Jasper be reedemed?
The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_icon_minitimeby ResolutionBlaze Sun May 07, 2017 7:34 pm

» Fiction: Escape or Moral?
The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_icon_minitimeby ResolutionBlaze Sun May 07, 2017 11:20 am

Cbox
CGU Chatbox Pop Out (Opens in New Tab)
Poll
Who's Your Favorite Fusion?
Garnet
The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_vote_lcap22%The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_vote_rcap
 22% [ 5 ]
Opal
The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_vote_lcap13%The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_vote_rcap
 13% [ 3 ]
Sardonyx
The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_vote_lcap17%The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_vote_rcap
 17% [ 4 ]
Sugilite
The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_vote_lcap0%The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Alexandrite
The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_vote_lcap9%The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 2 ]
Stevonnie
The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_vote_lcap13%The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_vote_rcap
 13% [ 3 ]
Smoky Quartz
 13% [ 3 ]
Malachite
The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_vote_lcap4%The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
Don't make me choose!
The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_vote_lcap9%The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 2 ]
Rainbow Quartz
The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_vote_lcap0%The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 23
Social Media
CGU Facebook CGU TwitterCGU Tumblr

The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Garnet
Founder
Members Diamond

Garnet
FounderMembers Diamond

Favorite Gem : Garnet, Pearl and Peridot

The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative Empty
PostSubject: The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative   The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2016 3:59 pm

A great essay on Steven Universe and breaking the "norm" on traditional roles of gender, superheroes, and parents.

Essay can be found HERE

Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
https://crystalgemuniverse.forummotion.com
Brit-chan

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative   The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2016 2:45 pm

That was interesting! It is one of the things I do love about this show, the different display of parenting. They do a good job in that episode where Connie's parents wants to meet Stevens "parents" and despite them being different, they accepted them because they saw their excellent parenting skills. Love all the mama gems xD
Back to top Go down
http://seaofserenity.net
Sardonyx
Social Media Diamond
Sardonyx
Social Media Diamond

Favorite Gem : Garnet, Sardonyx

PostSubject: Re: The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative   The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2016 8:20 am

I think it still took a while for Connie's parents to be like okay, maybe Steven's parent are good parents. It wasn't until they were disciplining him that Connie's parents were like...ohh....
Back to top Go down
http://misswildfire.tumblr.com/
Brit-chan

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative   The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2016 1:09 pm

Yeah but what was important that they were able to accept them because they realized that despite being different from the normal mold of "parents" they were still good parents in the end.
Back to top Go down
http://seaofserenity.net
shadywinters

shadywinters

Favorite Gem : Garnet is BEST MOM

PostSubject: Re: The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative   The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 11:17 pm

That was a very interesting essay indeed. Steven Universe is definitely a tone changer from the cliche father driven, heterosexual shows we have seen for many years. It allows us to see that, yes mothers/women can be just as important in shaping a person, and that dads can take on the role of the 'nurturer'. I also love the fact that the Gems display the many different types of parents that can exist; Pearl: the stern, yet loving mother, Garnet: the one who gives you that push and let's you discover things for yourself, and Amethyst: the laid back mom who is still loving and concerned for you at times, and is not completely neglectful.
Back to top Go down
http://shadywinters.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative   The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Mary Sue: Superheroes, Steven Universe, and the Maternal Narrative
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1